Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE (1165941)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Department of the Environment
Date assigned 31 March 1982
Date last amended

Description

SK 89 NW WILDSWORTH 4/56 Church of 31.3.82 St. John the Divine II Parish church, disused. 1838. Architect Charles Biggs, restored 1896 and 1908. Yellow brick with ashlar dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel and vestry. Octagonal tower of 3 stages, the topmost stage marked by an offset. A 4 centred west door with hood mould and label stops, to first floor a pair of lancets with between a lozenge shaped plaque, now removed. On the topmost stage belfry lights in the principal directions with hood moulds and label stops with between, blank recesses. Battlemented top and recessed octagonal spire. Nave side walls are divided into 3 bays by octagonal pilasters crowned by plain pinnacles. 3 two light Y traceried windows having 2 centred arches with hood moulds. Plain parapet. To the north east a single storey vestry with boiler house under. East end of chancel, which is an addition of the same date as the vestry, 1908, has a raised stone coped gable with kneelers and at a high level a 5 light Perpendicular style window with central ogee and trefoil heads contained in a broad 3 centred arch. The south chancel window is a single cusped ogee light set in a square chamfered frame. Interior: the stained glass in the east window is dated 1916 by Kempe. The panelled base of the font is dated 1839. All other fittings, etc. have been removed. Listing NGR: SK8082197657

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 4/56.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 80821 97657 (point)
Map sheet SK89NW
Civil Parish WILDSWORTH, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Dec 6 2022 11:38AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.