Building record MLI81859 - Nocton Hall

Summary

The present Nocton Hall is an 1841 rebuild of the previous hall on the site, which may have its origins in the medieval period.

Type and Period (3)

  • (Rebuilt late C17, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1675 AD)
  • (Burnt down 1834, Post Medieval - 1675 AD to 1834 AD)
  • (Post Medieval to Modern - 1841 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 61775 The present Nocton Hall is a rebuild of the previous hall on the site which burned down in 1834. It was rebuilt in Tudor style, in 1841 for the first Earl of Ripon by William Shearburn. The previous hall was built by Sir William Ellys in the late seventeenth century. It was E-shaped with large projecting wings and turrets. It had formal gardens laid out in a style fashionable for the time. Sketches of the old hall before and after the fire and a plan drawn immediately after the fire survive. {1}{2}{3}{4}{5} It is suggested that the late seventeenth century hall was a remodelling of an earlier house on the site, the greater part of which was built in the early to mid sixteenth century, perhaps by Thomas Wymbishe or the Townley family. An inventory of 1628 describes a large manor house with four towers, a long gallery and a chamber overlooking the churchyard. It is also suggested that many of the features of this building survived Ellys's remodelling of the late seventeenth century. This is most likely the residence owned by Sir Henry Stanley in the mid to late sixteenth century. It is further argued that the layout of the rooms and staircase turrets with external openings at ground floor level suggest a medieval courtyard house with either an east range, or a gatehouse and screen wall on that side. The hall was altered again in about 1805 by the fourth Earl of Buckinghamshire. {5} The new hall incorporates much of the foundations of the old hall, although the new hall is more compact. The outline of the old hall can be traced beneath the new one. The avenue of trees which leads up to the entrance of the new hall would have lined up with one of the main entrances in the west wing of the old hall. A banqueting house of the old hall survives to the south west of the hall (61796). {5} The hall more recently served as an RAF hospital. {3} A cast iron fireback, dated 1588, is located at Nocton Hall, presumably from the earlier house. {6} The hall was severely damaged in a fire in October 2004, which destroyed most of the interior. {9}

Sources/Archives (9)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). page 578.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire (Second Edition). page 365.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Thorold, Henry. 1999. Lincolnshire Houses. page 161.
  •  Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-06. 25 Inch County Series Map - Second Edition. 1:2500. 79/10.
  •  Article in Serial: Bennett, Carol. 1996. 'E.J.Willson and the Architectural History of Nocton Old Hall' in Lincolnshire People and Places. pp.26-42.
  •  Index: SMR FILE NOCTON. NOCTON. TF 06 SE:AF.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Terence R. Leach. 1991. Lincolnshire Country Houses and Their Families - Part Two. pp.191-204.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 5/63.
  •  Report: North Kesteven District Council. 2008. Nocton Conservation Area: An Assessment of the Character and Appearance of the Conservation Area. Appendix 1, 17.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred TF 0615 6433 (79m by 99m)
Civil Parish NOCTON, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (11)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.