Building record MLI91541 - Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Burton Road, Lincoln
Summary
Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Burton Road, Lincoln. Originally built in 1857, as barracks for the North Lincolnshire Militia.
Type and Period (3)
- BARRACKS (Post Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1857 AD to 1969 AD)
- MUSEUM (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1969 AD to 2050 AD)
- PARADE GROUND (Post Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1857 AD to 1969 AD)
Protected Status/Designation
Full Description
Former militia barracks armoury and store, built in 1857, by Henry Goddard, County Surveyor. Converted to a museum in 1969, when the south-west range was also remodelled. Built of brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roofs. Castellated style. The plan-form is a single-depth, 2-section plan with through archway to a rectangular courtyard. The exterior east front has five bays, with a projecting machicolated centre with a segmental pointed archway and rusticated guard stones, flanked by lower walls, each with four crossed rifle slits. Beyond, square corner towers with stepped crenellations. Similar rear elevation. Around the courtyard, single storey buildings with corbelled eaves and similar crenellated corner towers. North and south sides have a central plain opening. Built following the 1852 Militia Reform act as a secure store for the North Lincolnshire Militia, and a pair in design to that at Grantham for the South Lincolnshire Militia. Intended to provide a defensible base and centre for recruitment to meet the county's quota of militia recruits, and in a consciously historical style to achieve that end. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {1}
'By Henry Goddard, 1857. Castellated of course. Brick with stone dressings. Entrance feature with cross arrow-slits and machiolation. Large courtyard plan with square castellated angle towers.' {2}
Remains of the original military parade ground constructed on the site were revealed in September 2012, during trial trenching within the courtyard. The remains comprised layers of rubble base deposits and gravel surfaces, which formed the original surface of the 1857 parade ground. The trenching also recorded the adaptations made to the parade ground in 1913 to convert it into a menage for the Lincolnshire Territorial Forces Association. {3}{4}
A Conservation Management Plan for the building was produced in November 2012. The report included a detailed description of the development of the barracks. {5}
Sources/Archives (5)
- <1> SLI5854 Index: Department of Culture, Media and Sport. Dec 1999. Revised List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1941-1/6/53 (269.080).
- <2> SLI1062 Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.507.
- <3> SLI14153 Report: Field Archaeology Specialists. 2012. Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln. FAS site code: MOLL12.
- <4> SLI14154 Archive: Field Archaeology Specialists. 2012. Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln. LCNCC 2012.123.
- <5> SLI14112 Report: Field Archaeology Specialists. 2012. Museum of Lincolnshire Life: Conservation Management Plan. -.
Map
Location
Grid reference | Centred SK 97208 72193 (102m by 75m) Surveyed |
---|---|
Civil Parish | CARHOLME, LINCOLN, LINCOLNSHIRE |
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2021 8:35PM
Feedback?
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.