Building record MLI53114 - Normanby Mill

Summary

Post-medieval, water-powered corn mill and stable block. Thought to date to the late 18th century, and operated until c.1945. Possibly incorporates remains of an earlier medieval mill building, and later used for storage.

Type and Period (5)

  • (Post Medieval to Second World War - 1750 AD? to 1945 AD?)
  • (Second World War to 21st Century - 1945 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Post Medieval to Second World War - 1750 AD? to 1945 AD?)
  • (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • ? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1750 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A watermill named Normanby Mill is marked on the 1st edition 6" Ordnance Survey County Series map, where it is labelled as a corn mill. There is evidence to suggest that, although built by a farmer for his own use, milling was undertaken for others. The building is single storey, with the waterwheel located on the south-west gable of the mill building. The wheel has been removed, but a dry leat and brick culverted wheel pit chamber survive behind, indicating that it was an overshot wheel. It was built in the late 18th century and was in use until c.1945. The machinery was subsequently removed and installed at Hill's Mill, Market Rasen. {1}{2}{3}{4}{5} The mill machinery was formerly housed in the western, stone-rubble constructed part of the building. This part of the structure was used for general farm storage after the removal of the mill machinery. The eastern part of the building appears to have been a later, brick-built addition, and functioned as a stable block. The pitched roof is covered by clay pantiles, with an extended catslide roof to the older, stone-built part of the building. {6} Whilst not included in the detailed programme of historic building recording of the farmhouse to the south (see PRN 58327), the former mill building at Mill House Farm was briefly investigated in December 2019. Analysis of historic Ordnance Surveys maps of this area would suggest that the eastern half of this structure was built in about 1900, replacing earlier lean-to structures attached to the main mill building here. It was thought that the use of random and uncoursed stone rubble to the western part of this building might suggest an earlier, possibly medieval origin for the mill, or that it had perhaps re-used earlier material in its construction in the late 18th century. {7}{8}

Sources/Archives (8)

  •  Index: 1993. INDEX RECORD OF INDUSTRIAL SITES. LI/SLHA/SES10.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: SQUIRES, S.E.. 1983. WEST LINDSEY YESTERDAY 1880-1980. -.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF1392: LI.247.1.2-3.
  •  Aerial Photograph: COLE, C.. 1993-2002. InnerVisions Business Presentations. 180/0597/18a (1997).
  •  Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883-1888. 6 Inch County Series Map - First Edition. 1:10560. TF 19 SW.
  •  Report: Kelly & MacPherson Architects. 2019. Mill House, Walesby. -.
  •  Report: Neville Hall. 2020. Mill House Farm, Moor Road, Walesby. NH site code: MFWA19.
  •  Archive: Neville Hall. 2020. Mill House Farm, Moor Road, Walesby. LCNCC 2019.221.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred TF 13031 92982 (18m by 11m) Surveyed
Civil Parish NORMANBY LE WOLD, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.